Pages

Why I switched to Natural Hair Products (Even Though I Didn’t Want to at First)

When I first decided to switch my skincare and makeup to natural/safe products I didn’t think that I was ever going to switch my hair products.  The reason being is that I heard many times that this was the hardest thing to switch and at the time. I also felt like skincare and makeup toxins were a bigger problem.

After I learned about what shampoo does and how we’ve all become dependent on it, I decided to switch out all my hair care items and hope for the best. Shampoo is extremely drying on your hair. Before switching out my products I used to wash my hair every single day with salon bought shampoo. For those of you not looking to switch your hair products to natural ones, I would still recommend buying shampoo from a salon rather than a drugstore. The reason being is that drugstore hair care products use a lot of silicone’s and co polymers which are basically plastic. These products will temporarily make your hair look healthy and smooth. But really what they are doing is sealing off your hair so it isn’t able to get any more moisture, further drying it out. When you go to higher end hair products they contain a lot less silicone’s and co polymers and will usually have better ingredients. I’m not saying that salon products aren’t toxic, they are just better than drugstore ones.
When you use shampoo, especially those with harsh chemicals, you are stripping away oils that your body produces and that your hair needs. Shampoos strip away so much of these oils that our bodies will over produce oil in order to compensate. That is why you feel like you need to wash your hair every day. It’s a never ending cycle.
I have switched to natural shampoo and conditioner from my local health food store. The hardest thing for me to get used to is that the natural shampoo doesn’t foam, or it doesn’t foam nearly as much as your typical shampoo. At first I felt like it wasn’t cleaning my hair because you can’t get that nice lather. I eventually got used to it and even use less shampoo now because I am afraid of over using it.
Now I am currently in the process of training my scalp to not be so dependent on shampoo. I can go 2-3 days so far and my hair doesn’t look or feel disgusting. People who really commit to this can go up to a week. 
Along with switching my shampoo + conditioner, I have also switched my styling products to natural alternatives. My hair now is overall less frizzy and my hair is the softest it’s ever been. I also get the same look that I did when using your average chemical hair products. I am currently using Yarok products to style my hair. 
Although I don’t follow this method (yet), this is the video that helped me decide to switch my hair products (video will open up in a new window):

Original entry posted here on October 20, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment